Monday, September 17, 2012

Back Again in Virginia Living Magazine

They say you can never go home again, but that’s not quite true in the media game. After weeks of intense negotiations (not really) with managing editor Erin Parkhurst, I’m going to be returning to the eye-grabbing pages of Virginia Living Magazine as a contributing editor, feature writer and columnist starting with the Nov. 2012 edition.
I was what you’d call a regular in the bi-monthly magazine’s pages from 2004 to 2008, working with the stellar likes of editor Garland Pollard, copy editor Tina Ennulat and art director Tyler Darden, not to mention great artists such as Kelly Alder. In addition to many feature articles – like this profile of Norfolk R&B legend Gene Barge (pictured) -- I also contributed a regular column on the music-makers of Virginia. I always liked the wide-angle focus of the Virginia music column and I’m excited to be back on the beat.   
Things have changed at VL since I was last there – it has added a vastly-improved website and there’s a whole new editorial team, including Erin Parkhurst, art director Sonda Andersson Pappan and editors Daryl Grove and Lisa Antonelli Bacon (a fellow 64 magazine alumnus). Author Dean King is also going to begin writing a regular VL column.  So I guess it’s time to order that subscription.
And hear ye, hear ye, performers and management of performers: Send in commercially available recordings to Virginia Living, c/o Music / Don Harrison, 109 E. Cary St., Richmond, Va. 23219. Or email me your music and download information at valivingmusic@gmail.com. While I can’t promise anybody anything, I also can’t write about it if I don’t know about it. Wasn’t that a James Brown song?

No comments:

Post a Comment