Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Sonic Boom: Music Reviews in the RTD Void


I've been telling people for years that I've never worked for the Richmond Times-Dispatch --- it's one of the few major Virginia publications I've avoided.

So imagine my surprise when someone calls me a liar. An acquaintance informed me that he saw my byline on several articles published on the RTD website.

He's right. Well, look at that.

OK, let me explain. Way back at the turn of the Millennium, I had a regular music column, Sonic Boom, that ran on a then-active local news site called Richmond.com. That entire operation, and the website's web address, was sold to the RTD in a regional media buyout some time ago. Richmond.com is now the RTD's website.

,,,and that web address is STILL where you can find past editions of my "Sonic Boom." Not all of them but some. And they hold up pretty well, if I do say so myself.

Get yourself a bit of old Boom (as they say) by clicking on these links.

Best Releases of the 1990s.

Beck, The Roots, the Hang-Ups, "Clem Comstock," Seven Hearts

Ben Harper, Solex, Manishevitz, the Hollies, the Mekons

Nine Inch Nails, the Misfits, Robyn Hitchcock, Louis Jordan, Tower of Power, Barry White, LaBradford

Foo Fighters, Billy Nichols, Peter Finger, a case for Low Power Radio 

(Art: "Nancy" by the late, great Ernie Bushmiller)

No comments:

Post a Comment